Who We Are and What We DoGreater Portland Scribists (GPS) is a group of writers who live around Portland, Maine. We write, workshop stories, discuss the indie publishing scene, and embark on epic tangents. We typically annoy the good people working at Panera Bread in South Portland twice a month on Tuesday evenings.
The four original members published an anthology called Scribings, Vol 1 in 2011. Since then, our membership has changed a little, but every June we've published a new ebook of our stories. See the full list at our books page.
The fiction we write covers various genres -- from science fiction to fantasy to horror to mystery and more. Any speculative fiction is welcome, but we tend to be most comfortable with scifi and urban fantasy.
TechnologiesWe use a variety of technologies to augment our meetings. If you are considering joining us, you should be prepared with the following list (don't worry -- we can help out if needed!):
- Google Docs -- for sharing documents, cover art, meeting minutes, and more. Requires a Google account (which is free).
- Google Calendar -- another part of a free Google account. We schedule meetings with this.
- Word Processor -- one member uses Microsoft Word. Others use Open Office or Libre Office (free alternative office suites). Any modern word processor that can read and write DOC files is acceptable.
Still Interested?If you live near Portland, Maine and are interested in joining us, please send an email with the following to scribists (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Your name and email address
- Answers to the following questions:
- What type of fiction do you write?
- Have you written a flash/short story, or novel?
- Have you published anything?
- Do you enjoy reading other people's work and commenting on it?
- Have you ever workshopped a story before?
- A writing sample (flash fiction or excerpt from a longer piece -- 200 to 500 words). Either attach a document or a link to Google Docs / Dropbox / etc that we can view.